A Brief History of Simcoe Optometric Clinic
In 1947 Dr. Brock Smith (OD 1943) returned to Simcoe after military service and started practicing Optometry in the back of his parents’ jewelry store on Peel Street. He once did an eye exam and then sold a pair of eyeglasses and an engagement ring to the same person on the same day!
In 1968 Dr. Alan Baldock joined Dr. Smith and together they set up practice on Robinson Street in Simcoe.
In 1974 Dr. Kathleen Pickard graduated the top of her class at University of Waterloo and joined to become what was then known as Smith, Baldock and Pickard Optometrists on Robinson Street.
In 1985 Dr. Peter Sohier (OD 1978) joined the practice and together they established a new location at 100 Colborne St. N. in Simcoe, which is where the practice is located to this day.
In 1992 Dr. Brock Smith retired and Dr. Michael Zona took over for him. Graduating 49 years apart these two doctors shared an exam room and lots of stories for 6 months during the transition.
In 1993 Dr. Baldock moved practice to Port Dover and then relocated to Nova Scotia.
In 1994 Dr. Linda T. Hadaller joined and the practice adopted its current name of Simcoe Optometric Clinic.
In 2008 Dr. Amber McKnight (Baxter) joined Simcoe Optometric Clinic followed by Dr. Allison VanBerlo (Stickl) in 2011.
At the end of 2012 Drs. Pickard and Sohier retired after dedicating many years to meeting the eye care needs of our community.
In 2020 Dr. Matthew Czikk (OD 2020) joined our team as an associate.
Our practice’s strong foundation allows us to look to the future as we employ the latest eye health technology and practice modern collaborative eye. We continually strive to meet the individual needs of our patients. We truly live by our practice’s motto: Eye Care – We Care!